Projectors have risen as one of the most used devices for presentations and entertainment. They provide an enlarged and clear view to allow a large population to benefit from clear and more precise images. Some years back, people avoided using these devices due to issues with portability and prices. However, many manufacturers have come up to create portable and more affordable projectors to make it easier for several buyers to get those that suit their needs.
The only issue that comes up once you decide to buy one of these is the confusion of not knowing the features to look for to get the best projector. As such, we have come up with an article that will provide you with an easy time once you decide to buy a portable projector. Have a look at it since it provides a suggestion of the best portable projectors, as well as a guide on how to select your best. Before having a look at those, let’s begin by finding out why you need a portable projector.
Why you need a portable projector?
There are several reasons why you need to get a projector, and these are based mainly on your occupation. For instance, you can use projectors in games settings to display the game on a larger screen making it easier for your audience to enjoy the game. You can also get one for your home if you want to enjoy videos or pictures on a larger screen to eliminate the need to get a big screen. What’s more, you can use it in the church, for school or business presentations to make it easy for the audience to follow up.
How to choose the best portable projector:
1. Screen size: Projectors have different abilities when it comes to projecting images. You will find those that display a small screen size and those that display a bigger screen size. Hence, determine your preferred screen display size and only then select a projector that can support that.
2. Throw ratio: This ratio tells you the width of the image to be produced when you place the projector at a certain distance. If you have a small room where you expect to place the projector close to the screen, you will want to opt for a short throw projector. On the other hand, if you expect to mount the projector at a far distance away from the screen, a long throw projector is a better option. So, determine the distance that is most suitable before determining the best throw ratio to opt for.
3. Light source: Note that projectors feature three different sources of light. Among the most used light sources are a standard lamp, LED, and laser. As such, you should be sure to determine your most efficient light source either based on the number of hours you want it to last, the energy efficiency, replaceable or not replaceable, among other factors you may want to consider. For instance, if you want a source that you will not replace, you can opt for a laser, while you can opt for LED for a longer run time, while you can go with a standard lamp if affordability is the issue.
4. Color brightness: The brightness you want your projector to feature will depend on your needs. For instance, you will need to answer several questions which include, at what time do you expect to use the projector? Do you expect to use it in a well-lit or dull room? Do you expect to use the projector in a room with a lot of people? The answers to these questions will define the best brightness to get. If you expect to use the projector in a bright room, a room with a lot of people, or when you want to get detailed pictures, you must get a projector with a high brightness level hence go for one with a higher-lumen rating.
5. Resolution: The resolution defines how sharp and detailed the images will be. For instance, a resolution on 800 x 480 pixels means that the images to be produced will have 800 columns of pixels and 480 rows of pixels. As such, the higher the resolution, the sharper and more detailed your images will be, meaning that you will benefit from a view of high-quality images. So, be on the lookout of a projector with a high native resolution for clearer pictures.
6. Supported connectivity: Projectors feature different connections to make them compatible with various devices. For instance, you will find those that are compatible with USB, HDMI, VGA, among others. As such, it is for you to determine the devices you will use with your projector so that you can select the ideal one based on the connections you want it to support.
7. Contrast ratio: This ratio determines the variation between the brightest and darkest image that the projector can display. For instance, a contrast ratio of 1000:1 means that it will display an image with a brightness that is 1000 times brighter than the darkest side. So, check on this too if brightness matters to you.
- 1. DBPOWER T20 1500 Lumens LCD Mini Projector
- 2. ViewSonic PJD5155 3300 Lumens SVGA HDMI Projector
- 3. Mini Projector, DeepLee A1 DP300 Portable LED Projector
- 4. Optoma HD142X 1080p 3000 Lumens 3D DLP Home Theater Projector
- 5. RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector
- 6. Meyoung TC80 Video Projector
- 7. TENKER Q5 Projector, 1500 Lumens LED Mini Projector
- 8. iRULU P5 Projector
- 9. Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector
- 10. DBPOWER RD-810 1200 Lumens LED Portable Projector
1. DBPOWER T20 1500 Lumens LCD Mini Projector
As the best portable projector in our review, this mini projector will provide a big screen experience. It has a projection image size that ranges from 32″ to 176″, with a projection distance of 1.5m to 5m. As such, you can enjoy the size of the display you want by adjusting its distance. With a 1500-lumens LED, this projector is 50% brighter than ordinary LED projectors. Hence, you can use it for your home entertainment in the dark. However, note that it is not recommended for business or PPT presentation.
This projector allows you to enjoy quality pictures since it has a native resolution of 800 x 480 pixels, while it supports 1920 x 1080 pixels. It also features a contrast ratio of 1000:1, an aspect ratio of 16:10, and a projection ratio of 1.4:1. Another plus of this item is that you can be sure not to have a problem with the fan sound. This is due to the noise suppression featured on it, which helps cut the fan sound to half. What’s more is that it features an innovative cooling technology system with heat dispersion, so that it does not overheat after long working hours. Therefore, this assures you of a longer lifespan since the fan is less likely to get damaged. Once you get one of these, you can connect it with your phone or iPad since it supports the HDMI and MHL functions.
- Projection image size of 32″ to 176″ with a 1.5m to 5m projection distance.
- A 1500-lumens LED.
- A noise suppression feature that cuts the fan’s sound into half.
- An innovative cooling technology with heat dispersion that prevents the unit from over-heating.
- Contrast ratio 1000:1, projection ratio 1.4:1, Aspect ratio 16:10.
- Native resolution 800 x 480 pixels.
- Supported resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- An extended lamp life of up to 50,000 hours.
- A product dimension of 12 x 8 x 4.5 inches and 2.1-pound weight.
- A keystone manual correction ±15°.
2. ViewSonic PJD5155 3300 Lumens SVGA HDMI Projector
This projector features a native SVGA resolution of 800 X 600 and includes a 3300-lumens LED to provide clear and bright images. The projector displays a screen size of 83″ from 12 feet and 207″ from 30 feet. Therefore, this gives you the chance to enjoy your images the way you prefer. You can use this projector at home, business environments, or education settings since it includes exclusive audiovisual features as well as flexible connectivity options. With a dynamic contrast ratio of 20,000:1, this projector gives you the chance to enjoy high-quality display pictures.
What’s more is that it provides you with a large selection of inputs since it has an advanced color technology and an outstanding sharpness. With a 10,000 lamp hours life, it gives you the chance to enjoy long hours of entertainment without the need to worry about getting a battery replacement any soon. The projector includes built-in speakers, an easy-access lamp hood, a port cover, while it allows for an optical focus and zoom. Due to the 3.5 mm audio in/out port, mini USB ports, and 1.4 HDMI, you can use the projector to project images from various compatible devices. It has a throw ratio of 1.86~2.04:1 while its throw distance is 3.3 to 32.8 ft.
- A Super Color technology to offer a wide color range.
- Built-in speakers to provide a great sound range.
- A cable management hood to hide cable clutter.
- An easy-access top lamp door that allows an easy lamp maintenance and replacement.
- SVGA resolution of 800 x 600 and a 3300-lumens LED for clear and bright images.
- A dynamic contrast ratio of 20,000:1.
- A 10,000 lamp hours life to provide you with a long time to enjoy your entertainment.
- 3.5mm audio port to allow a connection with several audio devices.
- A product dimension of 9 x 12.4 x 4.1 inches and 4.6-pound weight.
3. Mini Projector, DeepLee A1 DP300 Portable LED Projector
This projector is one of the best projectors when you need a portable projector for home theater movies and video games in a dark environment. It has a native resolution of 320 x 240, while it features a 400-lumen LED light source. Its Contrast ratio is 800:1 and it supports various audio files including MP3, OGG, APE, WMA, WAV, APE, and FLAC. What’s more is that it supports multiple image files which include BMP, PNG, and JPEG.
You can also use it for the full format support video file as well as the TXT text file. This projector provides a projection image size of 24 to 60 inches at a projection distance of 1 to 3 meters. However, its ideal projection size ranges from 40″ to 55″ at a projection distance of 1.5 to 2 meters. It includes a 3.5 mm audio port, a TF card slot which makes it compatible with several devices. It measures 4.7 x 1.9 x 3.4 inches while it weighs 10.2 ounces to make it easy to move around. This projector isn’t recommended for PPT or business presentations.
- A native resolution of 320 x 240.
- A 400-lumen LED light source.
- A contrast ratio of 800:1.
- A projection image size of 24″ to 60″ at a projection distance of 1 to 3 meters.
- A product measurement of 4.7 x 1.9 x 3.4 inches and 10.2-ounces weight.
4. Optoma HD142X 1080p 3000 Lumens 3D DLP Home Theater Projector
This is one of the projectors to consider if you want to watch movies and play games and benefit from stunning colors in all environments. It features a 3000 ANSI lumens LED, and a 23,000:1 contrast ratio, that enables a display of clear and bright images. What’s more is that it features a full HD 1080p resolution which is perfect to allow you to benefit from clear images. The projector’s lamp is meant to last you for an extended period since it comes with an 8000-hour lamp life. More to this is that you do not have to worry about getting external speakers since it includes a built-in 10W speaker that produces powerful and crystal-clear sound.
It creates visuals that conform to HDTV broadcast Color Space thereby transforming viewing into visual reality. It can also display 3D content from almost all 3D sources including latest generation games consoles and 3D Blu-ray players. What’s more is that it provides smooth and flicker-free images since it supports a 144Hz rapid refresh rate. The images automatically adjust to the lamp output based on the brightness information of each frame. Hence, you can rest assured to view clear pictures in all light conditions. With this projector, you can connect your smartphone or tablets to stream videos or share photos on a bigger screen since it supports an MHL connectivity.
- 3,000 ANSI lumens and a sharp contrast ratio of 23,000:1 for clear image display.
- An 8000-hour lamp life hence no need to keep replacing lamps.
- A 144Hz rapid refresh rate to provide flicker-free images.
- An MHL connectivity to stream videos and images from smartphones and tablets.
- Integrated 10W speaker to provide powerful and crystal-clear sound quality.
- A 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution for clear image viewing.
- A reference mode and sRGB to create colors that perfectly align to REC.709 and REC.709b color space.
- A product measurement of 9 x 11.7 x 3.7 inches and 5.5-pound weight.
5. RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector
As one of the best portable projectors, this product is designed for portability and performance. It only measures 8 x 8 x 2.5 inches and weighs 1.8 pounds. Despite it being small in size, it provides great performance and is perfect for use at home, offices, cinemas, and entertainment settings. The projector comes with its own speaker so that it can provide a crystal-clear sound. What’s more is that it has an internal battery so that you do not have to plug it once you want to use it. Once you get it, you can play the videos in your SD card since it features an included SD card reader.
Other than that, you can use it to project pictures, play games, or watch videos from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Hence, you can turn your small screen viewing into a big screen display of up to 120″ on the wall or ceiling around you. The projector features an aluminum casing so that it withstands all the rough treatments that you expose it to. As such, you can be sure to use it for an extended period without the fear of it breaking anytime soon. Apart from that, it has a modern and sleek design that enhances a modern look making it appealing while in use.
It also includes an LED lamp that can last you for up to 20,000 hours, meaning that you will not have to keep replacing the lamp on a frequent basis. The lamp produces a brightness level of up to 50 lumens making it ideal for use in dark environments. The projector has a throw ratio of 1.99:1, a native resolution of 854 x 480, and a video input of up to full HD 1080p.
- Compatibility with MHL/HDMI devices to allow you to transform your view from a 5″ screen to a 120″ display.
- An aluminum casing that adds to durability.
- An LED lamp that can last up to 20,000 hours to reduce the number of times required for a replacement.
- Included batteries for an outdoor use.
- Included speakers for a better sound production.
- A product measurement of 8 x 8 x 2.5 inches and weight of 1.8 pounds.
6. Meyoung TC80 Video Projector
This projector is one of the best if you want a projector to use with your tablets, smartphones, PCs, laptops, among other HDMI enabled devices. You can use it to display pictures, videos, music, among other media from compatible devices in a screen of 50″ to 130″ display. It also supports a diversity of file formats including video, audio, text files, image, and video encoding file format. The projector provides a high brightness and full HD as well as a perfect visual experience thereby assuring you of a great view even in dark environments.
However, it is not recommended for use for power point presentations. Another plus of this projector is that it is compatible with USB flash drives, SD cards, Mobile HDDs, which allows you to project media from such devices. What’s more is that it includes a built-in loudspeaker which amplifies the sound from your media players. The projector features a native resolution of 800 x 480 pixels, while it has a 1200 luminous efficiency.
- A 1200 luminous efficiency with a native resolution of 800 x 480.
- A throw screen size of up to 150″ for a big screen viewing.
- A throw distance of 4.9 to 13.12 feet for more convenience.
- Compatibility with USB flash drives, SD cards, and mobile HDD.
- Ability to support HDMI-enabled devices such as PCs, Laptops, PS4 gaming devices, and tablets.
- Product measurement of 7.9 x 3 x 5.7 inches and weight of 2 pounds.
7. TENKER Q5 Projector, 1500 Lumens LED Mini Projector
This is a cost-effective home theater video projector that supports a connection from a variety of devices including iPads, iPhones, Smartphone tablets, among other devices. It supports several file formats including video format, audio format, text files, and image formats. However, it is not suitable for PPT or business presentations. The projector features a 1500 lumens LED which allows it to produce bright and sharp images for a great entertainment even in the dark environments. It measures 7.7 x 2.8 x 5.9 inches and weighs 2 pounds making it easy to carry along. Despite its small size, it provides a 35″ to 100″ display size projection, with a 1.15m up to 3m projection distance. This device features an innovative cooling system that provides an effective heat dispersion.
As such, you can be sure that it will serve you for an extended period since this technology prevents the fan from spoiling before serving its purpose. What’s more is that the fan does not produce a lot of noise since it features a noise suppression technology that cuts the amount of sound produced by the fan while functioning. Hence this saves you from noise distraction as you watch your movies. With this projector, you can project your images to the rear, front, or ceiling, which allows you to watch the way you like. You can also pick from one of the 16.77 million features colors so that you can watch with your favorite color screen display.
- A 1500-lumens LED for a clear watching even in the dark.
- Ability to display from 35″ up to 100.”
- It supports a projection distance of 1.15m to 3m.
- A native resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.
- A lamp life of up to 20,000+ hours.
- This projector supports a resolution of 1080p, 720p, and 480p.
- It supports rear, front, and ceiling projection methods.
- It measures 7.7 x 2.8 x 5.9 inches and weighs 2 pounds.
8. iRULU P5 Projector
This is an ideal projector if you are looking for a high-performance projector for watching videos and games in dark environments. However, it is not ideal for use for business presentations of PPT. It features a built-in LED bulb with a lamp life of more than 20000 hours. As such, you can be sure to use it for extended periods and still have it last for many years without the need to replace the lamp any sooner. This device has a +/- 15-degree manual vertical keystone correction, as well as a 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio which allows you to watch your images or screen from the angle you prefer.
The projector has a native resolution of 1280 X 768, while it supports a resolution of 1080p. It features built-in stereo speakers with SRS sound to provide you with the best listening experience. The projector features multiple inputs which include the HDMI, USB, VGA, AV, to allow you to play your media from several devices. You can also use it with an external speaker since it includes RCA L/R jackpots. Once you get one of these, you can be sure to watch your images in a screen size of 32″ to 200″, and also choose from one of the 16.7 featured colors. It supports a throw distance of 3.6 to 19.7 feet with a throw aspect ratio of 1.4:1.
- Built-in stereo speakers with SRS technology for a great sound quality.
- An extended lamp life of up to 20000 hours.
- A maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels to allow you to benefit from clear pictures.
- A screen size display that ranges from 32″ to 200.”
- 16.7 million color choices to let you have a range to select from.
- Compatibility with HDMI, AV, USB, VGA, so that you can watch media from various devices.
- A product measurement of 15.4*11.8*7.09 inches.
9. Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector
This projector measures 11.7 x 9.2 x 3.2 inches while it weighs 5.3 pounds. As such, it allows you to carry it along with a lot of ease. It includes an instant power switch which lets you power it off easily. Hence, no need to waste your time waiting for it to shut down after a presentation. The Projector also includes a sleep mode which is a convenient feature during presentations since you do not have to power it off when you want to pause. It supports the HDMI technology, which makes it compatible with laptops, media players, while it allows you to connect digital and audio devices with one cable.
The device has a 3000 lumens color brightness which makes it highly accurate, while it also has 3000 white brightness for use in well-lit rooms. Due to the featured 800 x 600 SVGA resolution, you can use the projector for basic presentations and graphics. What’s more is that it is easy to use once you want to zoom into a portion of the image since it only takes a press of the E-Zoom plus button on the remote control. Even better, it is easy to set it up, meaning you will not have a difficult time even when late for a presentation since it includes easy image adjustments and a convenient control. It has a lamp life of 10,000 hours which reduces the maintenance costs on your part.
- A power switch that makes it easy to switch it off.
- A sleep mode that lets you place the projector in a pause mode.
- A 3000 lumens color brightness for more accurate images.
- A 3000-white brightness that makes it efficient in well-lit rooms.
- An 800 X 600 SVGA resolution for clear images.
- A 10,000 LED lamp life to avoid frequent replacements.
- A product measurement of 11.7 x 9.2 x 3.2 inches and weight of 5.3 pounds.
10. DBPOWER RD-810 1200 Lumens LED Portable Projector
This is one of the best portable projectors for use for home entertainment. However, it is not ideal for PPT or business presentations. It is versatile since you can use it to play music and display pictures from HDMI-enabled devices. As such, you can use it with your tablets, smartphone, USB flash drives, PCs, media players, smartphones, among other devices. The projector will provide you with a clear and enjoyable viewing experience since it provides a 50″ to 150″ image display size.
What’s more is that you can use it at a distance of 1.5 to 5 m away from the screen area. It features a native resolution of 800 x 480 pixels, while it supports a resolution of 1080p. The projector produces a brightness of 1200 lumens which makes it ideal for use in dark places. It has a throw distance that ranges from 4.9 to 13.12 feet while its throw ratio is 1.4:1. The projector has a keystone manual correction of 15 degrees and an aspect ratio of 4:3 and 16:9. Thus, It makes you enjoy your view from your preferred angle.
- It supports HDMI-enabled devices.
- Projection screen size ranging from 15″ to 150″.
- A native resolution of 800 x 480 pixels and a 1080p supported resolution.
- A throw distance of 4.9 to 13.12 feet.
- A keystone manual correction of 15 degrees.
- A contrast ratio of 1000:1.
- A brightness level of 1200 lumens.
I hope that you will now have an easy time as you shop for the best portable projector. The reviews above should guide you on some of the best projectors to consider. Ensure that you use the guide provided so that you can have an easier time selecting the best projector for your needs. Also, remember to prioritize the features the projectors include the price, for you to make the best buy and value for your money.
Also Read: Best Streaming Device Reviews of 2018