You have probably gotten stuck on the road due to a dead battery, which is the reason you are looking forward to purchasing the best portable car jump starter. While on your quest for this device, where do you begin, to ensure that you get the best unit among the available jump starters in the market? Without having ever bought one before, making the right choice can be challenging which is the reason we have provided a complete guide to help you make the right decision. Have a look at our coverage and be sure to make the best value for money after getting a portable jump starter.
Why do you need a portable jump starter?
If you have been stuck on the road due to a dead car battery, am sure that you already have the answer to this question. A portable car jump starter will help you get back on the road within a short time after a dead battery since it can boost your dead battery. What’s more, some people need this device since it can help inflate flat tires, charge phones and provide light in the dark. Hence, this is a great plus in all road trips to enable you to get the best experience after unintended roadside emergencies.
How to choose the best portable car jump starter.
Factors to consider:
1. Power: How much power do you want your portable car jump starter to deliver? This depends on your needs as well as your car battery type. To get the best jump starter based on your requirement, consider the peak ampere and cracking ampere rating of the device. The peak amperes represent the amount of power the jump starter can offer, while the cranking amperes represent the amounts of amperes the unit can produce when more cranking is needed. So, be sure to consider your car battery’s needs before considering the optimal power the unit should deliver.
2. Safety: Apart from the power, be sure to determine the built-in safety measures that jump starter offers. Some of the safety measures to consider include an overvoltage protection, overcharge protection, short circuit protection, overcurrent protection, overload protection and a reverse polarity protection. An over-voltage protection helps to stabilize the output voltage, an overcharge protection protects the device from overcharging the battery, an overload protection helps to protect its battery, a short circuit protection avoids damage to the power supply, while the reverse polarity ensures that you connect the battery in the right way. So, be sure to check for these to enable you to increase the lifespan of the car battery and the portable car jump starter.
3. Reliability: How much reliance can you place on this unit? Is it capable of jump-starting your car when you want it? To tell this, you should check the number of times you can use it to jumpstart after a full charge. Also, check on customer reviews and get an idea of what other customers say about the unit. This will help you make the best value for your money, to avoid buying a unit that will fail after a short time.
4. Durability: What is the construction material of your jump starter? Can it resist breakage after a rough treatment? Be sure to check the construction of your unit. When making a purchase, it is best that you buy a unit with a durable construction so that it can last you for long. It should also include clamps that are resistant to corrosion and rusting so that it serves its purpose for an extended period.
5. Price: Something else to consider when searching for the best portable jump starter is the price. Can you afford the unit? However, remember that price should never be the determining factor. First, consider the features that you need the unit to include before checking on the price. After all, there is no need to get a cheap gadget only to get another one in a short period, since it can’t fulfill your needs. If you do not have enough money for the unit, it would be better to stay without one for the meantime before you can get enough money to buy a suitable jump starter.
6. Other considerations: Apart from the above factors, other factors to consider for you to buy the best unit are the additional features. These include an LCD screen to show the battery status, an air compressor to help inflate flat tires, USB ports to charge mobile devices, a flashlight with different illumination modes, as well as a compass to guide you once you lose direction. Although these features are not a concern to most people, you might want to consider them for more convenience.
You may find out our 10 Best Portable Car Jump Starter below.
- 1. Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter
- 2. Brightech – SCORPION Portable Car Battery Jump Starter
- 3. PowerAll PBJS16000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Lithium Jump Starter
- 4. DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- 5. BEATIT TECH 600A Peak 14000mAh 12-Volt Portable Car Jump Starter
- 6. GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter
- 7. Weego Jump Starter
- 8. Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety – NEW 1000A Portable Lithium Booster Pack Jump Starter
- 10. NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
1. Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter
As one of the best portable jump starters, this is a device you can carry along since it only weighs 9 pounds. It measures 7.2 x 7.8 x 12 inches which means that it will not stress you when it comes to a storage space. Despite this device being compact, it delivers 900 peak amperes and 225 cranking amperes. What’s more is that it features 27″ 4AWG cables. With these, you can be sure to reach the most inaccessible batteries in your vehicle.
The clamps can also penetrate corrosion, giving you the ability to charge your old batteries with ease. Apart from acting as a jump starter, this device also works as a flashlight and charger. It features a 12V LED flashlight that will serve as an emergency backup light. As such, when you need to perform mechanical duties in a dark environment, you can be sure to have this device light up the way for you. Even better, you do not have to let your devices run out of charge since it includes a DC outlet to power 12V accessories.
- A DC outlet to charge 12V accessories.
- 27″ 4AWG cables to reach inaccessible batteries.
- Ability to produce 900 Peak amperes and 255 cranking amperes.
- 12V LED flashlight that acts as an emergency light.
- It measures 7.2 x 7.8 x 12 inches and weighs 9 pounds to make it portable.
- Heavy-duty clamps to boost a corroded battery.
2. Brightech – SCORPION Portable Car Battery Jump Starter
This portable jump starter measures 6.2 x 3 x 1 inches and weighs 2.4 pounds. As such, it is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. When it comes to storage, you can place it in your glove compartment to enable you to access it with much ease. Despite it being compact and light, it is powerful enough to jump-start a V6 engine. This device is compatible with 3-litre gas and petrol engines as well as a 2.5-litre diesel engine. It features a 44Wh lithium-ion battery that can deliver 400 peak amperes.
When it comes to ensuring the safety of your battery, the jump starter features ‘smart’ clamps that will protect from overcharging, short-circuiting and anti-recharge. It has five blue LED light that indicates the amount of power remaining, to ensure that you do not go out of charge. This jump starter comes in four colors including Onyx black, Cobalt blue, Electric green and Crimson red to give you a chance to select your preferred color. Apart from acting as a jump starter, this device will also charge your phones and laptops. As such, you can carry it along as a power bank device. Moreover, it includes a flashlight which you can use as an emergency backup light, while you can also use its SOS mode to call for help.
- A 44Wh lithium-ion battery that enables it to deliver 400 peak amperes.
- ‘Smart’ clamps that protect your battery against overcharging, and short-circuiting.
- 5 blue LED lights that indicate the amount of power remaining of the jump starter.
- A flashlight that sends SOS signals to help you call out for help.
- USB ports that will allow you to charge the batteries of your mobile accessories.
- A product measurement of 6.2 x 3 x 1 inches and a 2.4-pound weight to make it portable.
3. PowerAll PBJS16000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Lithium Jump Starter
With a product measurement of 6.8 x 1.3 x 1.4 inches and a 1-pound weight, this device is compact and light to allow you to carry it in your hand. It features a 12V 600A battery that is capable of delivering up to 600 amperes of peak energy. With these, it can jump-start a 6.2 L gas engine, while you can use it for up to 20 times after a full charge. Another plus of this device is that it allows you to store it for up to 6 months without recharging, and still be sure to have the energy to jump-start your car. The device offers a voltage back-feed protection so that it does not damage your battery in case you forget to disconnect it.
Apart from jumpstarting your car, this device can also charge the batteries of your mobile devices. It includes dual 5V/2.1A USB ports that can charge compatible devices. What’s more is that it includes an ultra-bright LED flashlight. This light produces 86 lumens that project up to 300 feet of light. Moreover, the flashlight features three modes of illumination. With the standard mode, you can use it as an emergency light to light up your way. The strobe mode is useful when you need to change a tire by the roadside to enable you to alert oncoming traffic. On the other hand, the SOS mode helps you once you need to call for an emergency assistance. Once you charge the device fully, it can last for up to 120 hours.
- A flashlight with three modes of lighting.
- USB ports to charge smartphones and tablets.
- Five LED lights that show the status of the battery.
- Built-in protection features that include overload, overcharge, and overvoltage protection.
- Ability to jumpstart a car up to 20 times after a full charge.
- A product weight of 1 pounds and 6.8 x 1.3 x 1.4 inches measurement.
4. DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
This is a compact yet powerful jump starter with the ability to start your car up to 30 times after a full charge. It delivers 600 amperes of peak current that is capable of jump-starting a 6.5L gas or 5.2L diesel engine. This device is equip led with heavy-duty clamps and cables that provide short circuit, overload, overcurrent, overcharge and overvoltage protection. As such, this guarantees a long life of your battery since you do not have to worry once you forget to disconnect. The jump starter measures 7.3 x 1.6 x 3.5 inches while it weighs 1.1 pounds to make it compact to store in your glove compartment.
Apart from acting as a jump starter, the device can charge your smartphones, tablets, laptops among other devices since it includes a 18000mAh battery and USB ports. What’s more is that it can help you get your way out of the wild since it includes a compass. Even better, it features an LCD screen that displays the amount of power remaining, to ensure that the battery won’t get drained without your knowledge.
With this device, you do not have to worry while stuck in the dark since it includes a flashlight with three modes of lighting. It has a high mode that will enable you to provide light in the dark, a strobe mode that will let you alert oncoming traffic that you are changing your tire, and an SOS mode to enable you to call for help. The jump starter includes high-quality clamps that will protect your battery from overcharging, short circuiting, over voltage and overload.
- High-quality clamps with an over-charge, over-voltage, short-circuit, and over-current protection.
- A flashlight with three modes of lighting. The high, strobe and SOS mode.
- Ability to produce 600 amperes of peak current.
- An LCD screen that shows the battery status.
- 2.4A USB output and smart USB port to charge compatible mobile accessories.
- Ability to jump-start a car up to 30 times after a full charge.
- A product dimension of 7.3 x 1.6 x 3.5 and weight of 1.1 pounds to make it portable.
5. BEATIT TECH 600A Peak 14000mAh 12-Volt Portable Car Jump Starter
As one of the best portable jump starters, this device can perform several functions. You can use it to jumpstart your car, charge your USB compatible devices, provide light in the dark, find your way out of the wild, or even call for help. You can use it in both high and low temperatures, meaning that you do not need to worry about it failing when in a cold zone. This device measures 7 x 3.4 x 1.2 inches while it weighs 1 pound. As such it is small enough to enable you to carry it along during your trips. Despite it being compact, it is a powerful item with the ability to produce up to 600 amperes of peak current so that you can jump-start a 5.5L gas and 4.0L diesel engine.
What’s more is that it allows you to jump-start your vehicle up to 30 times after a full charge. As such, no need to worry if you have a car battery that drains several times in your trip. Another plus of this device is that it adopts an IQC charging technology. This enables you to charge devices fast at a speed of up to 2.1 amperes. The jump starter recharges in 5.5 hours when plugged using a wall or car charger. It also includes clamps that offer a reverse polarity protection so that you do not have to worry when you reversely connect your battery. Due to its ability to provide an overcurrent protection, a short circuit protection, and an overload protection you can be sure to extend the life of your car battery once you use it.
- Ability to deliver 600 amperes of peak current.
- Clamps that offer a reverse polarity protection, overload, overcurrent and short-circuit protection.
- An IQC charging technology to enable it charge devices fast.
- An item weight of 1 pound and measurement of 7 x 3.4 x 1.2 inches to make it portable.
- A compass that will help find your way when lost.
- USB ports to charge your mobile devices.
- Ability to jumpstart a car up to 30 times after a full charge.
6. GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter
This car jump starter delivers a starting current of 800 amperes to enable it to start a 7.0L gas and 5.5 L diesel engine. You can use it for your motorcycle, oil boat, RV, tractor, among other automobiles. The device includes several features that enable it to perform several functions. With a 18000mAh battery and dual USB outputs, this device can charge 5V portable devices which include your smartphone, tablet, camera, among other devices.
It also includes an ultra-bright LED flashlight with three illumination modes. The strobe mode is ideal to allow a roadside tire change; an SOS flashlight enables you to call for help, while the flashlight allows you to light up your way in the dark. Once you charge it fully, you can be sure to have it last for up to 120 hours. To ensure that your battery is protected, the car jump starter includes an overload protection, an overcharge protection, over current protection, and a short circuit protection.
- Ability to deliver 800 amperes of starting current.
- Dual USB ports to allow you to charge 5V portable devices.
- An ultra-bright LED flashlight with three modes of illumination.
- Ability to last up to 120 hours after a full charge.
- Clamps that provide an overload, over current, and short circuit protection.
- A 7.3 x 3.7 x 1.6 inches product dimension and weight of 1.7 pounds to make it portable.
7. Weego Jump Starter
As one of the best portable car jump starters, this device is designed for everyone. It features several safety protection features including lights and sounds that will tell once you connect it in the wrong way. What’s more is that it has ergonomic clamps with wide openings so that it is easy for you to fit it onto your battery. This jump starter can jumpstart a 7L gas and 3.5L diesel engine. You can use it as a portable power bank since it features a 19V port to charge a laptop and a 12V port to charge smartphones. You can also use it as a backup light since it includes a built-in 500-lumen tactical flashlight that lasts for up to 28 hours. The jump starter features a durable construction so that it can serve you for long. It is also IP65 certified for water and dust resistance.
- A 500-lumen flashlight that can last for up to 14 hours while in the standard flashlight mode, and up to 28 hours while in the SOS and strobe mode.
- USB ports to charge smartphones and tablets.
- Ability to jump-start a 7L gas and 3.5L diesel engine.
- It measures 8 x 7 x 4 inches and weighs 3 pounds.
- It is IP65 certified for dirt and water resistance.
8. Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety – NEW 1000A Portable Lithium Booster Pack Jump Starter
This car jump starter delivers 1000 amperes of peak current to enable it to boost up to 7L gas and 3.5 L diesel engines. It includes a 39Wh battery that allows it to jump start up to 20 times after a single charge. This device features an Intelligence boost technology which ensures that power flows when it is safe to flow. What’s more is that it includes two high-power USB ports that allow charging of cell phones, cameras, among other devices.
The jump starter can also charge your laptop since it includes a variable output laptop charging port for this purpose. With its ultra-bright LED flashlight, you can be sure to avoid getting stuck in the dark since it will help light up your way. Even better, this light produces different illumination modes including the strobe mode to allow a roadside change of the tire, and an SOS mode suitable once you need to call for help. What’s more is that it has a bright LCD that tells the amount of charge remaining, while it also tells you if it is charging or if it is charging other units.
- Ability to deliver 1000 amperes of peak current.
- A 39Wh battery that is capable of jumpstarting up to 20 times after a full charge.
- USB to charge cellphones among other compatible devices.
- A variable output laptop charging port to charge laptops.
- A bright LED flashlight with different modes of lighting.
- An LCD screen that shows the status of the battery.
- Product weight of 15.8 ounces and a dimension of 6.3 x 1.3 x 2.9 inches to make it portable.
9. Beatit 800A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
With a product dimension of 7.2 x 3.4 x 1.5 inches and weight of 1.2 pounds, this device is compact and light to allow you to carry it along with a lot of ease. It can deliver 800 amperes of peak current to enable it to jump start up to 6L gas and 5L diesel engine.
It features a 18000mAh battery that allows it to jump start your car up to 20 times after a full charge. Once it drains this device takes 5.5 hours to charge fully. Apart from jump starting your car, it can help charge your phones, tablets, and laptops since it includes dual smart USB charging ports.
It can charge these devices with a speed of up to 2.1A which means that it is 2 times faster than the standard power banks. Another plus of this jump starter is its advanced protection features. Due to its intelligent clamps, it provides an over voltage protection, over current protection, short circuits protection, overload protection, and an overcharge protection. It also includes an LCD screen that displays the amount of charge remaining on its battery. Due to the included flashlight with several modes of lighting, this device adds to your safety while in dark environments.
- Ability to produce 800 amperes of peak current.
- A lithium battery that can jumpstart your car up to 30 times after a full charge.
- A built-in USB output port with the ability to charge devices up to 2-times faster than a common power bank.
- A bright flashlight with an SOS and Strobe mode to make it a multi-purpose unit.
- A product dimension of 7.2 x 3.4 x 1.5 inches and 1.2 pounds weight that make it portable.
- Smart clamps that provide an overvoltage, overcurrent, short circuit, overload and an overcharge protection.
10. NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
This is another compact yet powerful car jump starter that is a great plus to carry along your journeys. It measures 8.3 x 4.1 x 4.6 inches and weighs 2.4 pounds. It can produce a peak current of 1000 amperes and can jump start your vehicle for up to 20 times after a single full charge. The device features an ultra-safe mistake-proof design with a reverse polarity protection and spark-proof technology.
This ensures that you can safely connect your battery so that it lasts you for a long time. It also includes an ultra-bright 100-lumen LED flashlight with seven lighting modes. Hence, this ensures that you remain safe especially while driving in the dark. What’s more is that it allows you to charge your mobile devices while moving. It features a built-in 2.1A USB port that will charge your devices up to two times faster than standard power banks. This unit is best for use on gas engines up to 6L and diesel engines up to 3L.
- It has an ampere rating of 1000A which makes it suitable for use on 6L gas engines and 3L diesel engines.
- It can jumpstart a vehicle up to 20 times after a full charge.
- An ultra-bright 100-lumen flashlight with seven modes of illumination.
- A built-in 2.1A USB port for charging smartphones and tablets.
- A product dimension of 8.3 x 4.1 x 4.6 inches and 2.4 pounds weight to enhance portability.
I hope that you can get yourself the best portable car jump starter now that you know what it takes to get the best one. I recommend that you select one of the jump starters reviewed above since they are the best-rated jump starters on the market. As such, they can grant you the best experience due to the features they include. Always be sure to determine your need first, before getting one of these devices.