The Radio Frequency or RF signal generators are the vital electrical instrument that produces electronic signals with a certain set of properties including frequency, amplitude, and wave shape. They are an essential item to test instruments at any place where radio frequency or development work is being done. Precisely, it’s a source of the signal that can be used to test the circuit that is being developed, whether it’s working swiftly or not.
Majorly used in designing, troubleshooting, testing, and repairing electronic devices, the signals produced by the instrument are used for inducing electronic measurements.
RF signal generators are usually also used alongside other instruments for testing circuits like power meters, frequency counters, or oscilloscopes. The signal generators provide the rights testing conditions for other items of test instrumentation however, it does not make any measurements.
Let’s check a run-through of the best sellers down below :
Here’s the full reviewed of “the 7 Best Radio Frequency Signal Generator” :
- #7. TOMLOV Dual Channel Radio Frequency Generator
- #6. Goupchn High Precision DDS Signal Generator
- #5. ICQUANZX High Precision Radio Frequency Signal Generator
- #4. KKmoon Digital Radio Frequency Signal Generator
- #3. DOMINTY Double Channel Radio Frequency Signal Generator
- #2. Siglent Technologies Radio Frequency Signal Generator
- #1. Koolertron High Precision Radio Frequency Signal Generator
#7. TOMLOV Dual Channel Radio Frequency Generator
This decent TOMLOV signal generator is a cost-effective option for an efficient working dual-channel function signal generator.
This RF signal generator takes up the dynamic direct digital synthesizer technology for showing accurate and most stable signals that have the lowest distortion. This signal generator proves to be an incredible measuring instrument widely used by researchers, engineers, and teachers globally.
This radio frequency signal generator is constructed with a simple design methodology that competently gives high amplitude resolution and also a high-frequency accuracy.
What we like
- Uncomplicated Design
- High Accuracy
- Lowest Distortion Signals
#6. Goupchn High Precision DDS Signal Generator
This is a dynamic programmable radio frequency signal generator that output sine, square, pulse and triangle wave. It has a massive frequency of 80 MHz while it can simultaneously display frequency, output signals, amplitude, etc.
Very eye-catching to look at, this instrument has a 3.5-inch high-resolution color LCD for a crystal clear viewing experience. With an easy upgrade system, it can fix the bugs and glitches swiftly giving you a trouble-free experience. This instrument has opened new avenues in the field of research and education, production testing, and many other industries.
What we like
- Attractive design
- Controlled Voltage
- Easy Upgrade
- Programmable Output
#5. ICQUANZX High Precision Radio Frequency Signal Generator
This remarkable RF signal generator gives you a massive high-frequency precision of up to 10-6 orders of magnitude while giving the full range of 0.01μHz frequency resolution. This great signal generator allows you to adjust the Duty cycle of each channel separately with a precision of 0.1%.
An ideal signal generator for the laboratories, teaching, production lines, electronic engineering, and research, it can store up to 99 groups’ instrument state parameters set by the user. The minimum amplitude resolution of this remarkable RF signal generator is up to 1mV.
What we like
- High Precision
- Large Storage
#4. KKmoon Digital Radio Frequency Signal Generator
The ingenious Kknoon RF signal generator is a resourceful instrument that can sweep properties of 4 signals including amplitude, offset, duty cycle, and frequency. With two sweep types – Linear and Logarithm, it gives you 3 sweep directions.
With this signal generator, you get the option of manual trigger and external trigger. All the functions in this signal generator can be controlled swiftly through a computer program while the secondary development can take place through the communication protocol. It also efficiently gives protection for output short circuit as it allows the channel to work for 60 seconds in case the load has a short circuit.
With maximum support of synchronous 16-channel output, it can save 20 sets of parameters fixed by users which can be loaded as and when required.
What we like
- High Accuracy
- Dual Channels
- Large TFT Display
- Sweep functionality
#3. DOMINTY Double Channel Radio Frequency Signal Generator
This inventive DOMINTY RF signal generator is integrated with Direct Digital Synthesizer – DDS technology that provides consistent and accurate signals with low distortion. It is a highly reliable instrument incorporated with a large-scale circuit. Its SYNC port can synchronize multiple instruments.
This signal generator is constructed with a 2.4 inch large TFT LCD which is colored having a resolution of 320×240. With three trigger burst output function, it has a fully independent dual channel output.
With its dynamic ability to detect CMOS level, it can also scan signal properties including amplitude, duty cycle, offset, and frequency.
This cost-effective RF signal generator has an open communication protocol that makes secondary development a breeze. With multiple modulation types, it is also equipped with a channel tracking function.
What we like
- DDS Function
- VCO Support
- Limitless range
- Multiple Modulation
#2. Siglent Technologies Radio Frequency Signal Generator
This technologically advanced RF signal generator is equipped with the innovative TrueArb technology which successfully produces low jitter pulse waveforms instead of one-clock-jitter produced by a common DDS generator. Its cutting edge technology helps produce waveform in a point-by-point manner, which supports in successfully using every data point that was in the memory.
Supported with a very advanced EasyWave arbitrary waveform editing software that helps in numerous ways to produce arbitrary waveform like coordinate drawing, equation drawing, line drawing, etc.
Its special circuit can generate square waves to up to a massive 60 MHZ with very few jitters. With copious analog and digital modulation types, it gives you an assortment of AM, DSB-AM, FM, PM, FSK, ASK, PSK, and PWM. This RF signal generator can equalize the phase between CH1 and CH2 and has a contemporary harmonics generation mode which sets this generator apart from various options in the marketplace.
What we like
- Innovative TrueArb Technology
- Great Performing Square Waves
- Dynamic EasyWave Software
- Contemporary Harmonics Function
#1. Koolertron High Precision Radio Frequency Signal Generator
The futuristic Koolerton RF signal generator takes the first slot on our 7 best signal generators list because it has proved to be an ideal instrument in many fields including research and development, education and training, and electronic engineering.
With a high-frequency accuracy of up to 10-6 orders of magnitude, this unconventional signal generator has a full range of 0.01μHz frequency resolution. It provides a minimum amplitude resolution of up to 1mV while you have the liberty to adjust the duty cycle separately with a precision of 0.1%
This advanced arbitrary waveform generator embraces a large-scale circuit that is integrated with FPGA and a fast MCU microprocessor. Equipped with two frequency sweep functions, its impressive storage can store up to 99 users set parameters.
What we like
- Extraordinary Precision
- Highly Reliable
- Decent Storage
The Best Radio Frequency Signal Generator
Types of Radio Frequency Signal Generator:
There are different variants of RF signal generators available in the market. Over the years, the advancements in the field of electronics have resulted in the evolution of techniques used for radio frequency signal generators. Though the basic functions of the signal generators remain the same, their capabilities may have developed over time.
Following ae the two major forms of RF signal generators;
1. Synthesized Radio Frequency Signal Generators: This unique synthesized RF signal generator determines the output signal very accurately. Pretty much all signal generators used nowadays use frequency synthesizer technology as it allows frequencies to enter directly via a keypad or remote control.
Following are the major techniques used in synthesized RF signal generators are:
- Phase-Locked Loop Synthesizer: This technique allows signals to be generated on a broad range of frequencies with a low level of bogus signals. It is used in most RF signal generators.
- Direct Digital Synthesizer, DDS: This technique is used in a majority of the RF signal generator where it enables the finest frequency increments to be attained swiftly. They are often used in combination with phase-locked loops as the extreme limit of a DDS synthesizer is quite less than the top frequencies required for a signal generator. Thus, it gives the required frequency range to the generator.
2. Free running RF Signal Generators: These radio frequency signal generators have a frequency that usually drifts and wavers hence, they are not widely used these days. Giving a very basic level of performance, they are very affordable signal generators however, they are rarely used nowadays. The major benefit of these signal generators is that they produced a very clean signal without any phase noise, unlike other RF signal generators.
Uses of RF Signal Generator
Radio Frequency signal generators have widespread use in various fields and industries. Some of the industries include wireless communication, defense electronics, and the aerospace industry. Major applications range from radar, avionics, and GPS signal simulation with RF / IF signal generation. In these contemporary times, the signal generators are used to test the digital receivers and transmitters in the field of modern wireless communications.
What to look for when buying an RF Signal Generator?
Several important features need to be considered when buying a radio frequency signal generator. Following are the most important elements that must be considered before making the purchase.
- Frequency Range: One of the most essential elements to look for when buying an RF signal generator is its frequency range. It is pertinent to consider all the testing that will be needed when choosing a band required for the signal generator.
- Power Accuracy: Signal generator accuracy specification is of utmost significance since depending on the signal generator level the response of the unit under test may vary. It may be possible that in some circumstances, the response may be very sensitive to the level of a signal generator.
- Signal Generator Power Output: One more important feature is the power output of the signal generator. Generally, the RF signal generator’s power output is defined in dBm, i.e. dB relative to one milliwatt. Different signal generators have different levels of power output ranging between 10 – 20 dBm, however, the most common maximum output level is up to +13 dBm.
- Harmonics and Spurious Signals: Signal generators tend to execute spurious signals. All signal generators produce some level of spurious signals. A substantial amount of efforts are spent on harmonics for curtailing the intermodulation and other non – harmonically related false signals. These spurious signals are mentioned in decibels.
- Phase Noise: The phase noise in RF signal generators needs to be carefully considered as it could be a major issue in some generators. The level of phase noise produced may affect the measurements of the signal generator. Phase noise is quoted in terms of dBc / Hz. As noise is distributed over a frequency range and is not a single frequency hence, the broader the measurement bandwidth, the more noise is experienced.
Significant Features of a Radio Frequency Signal Generator:
Within a high performing radio signal generator, there are some major features which are.
- Oscillator: The most important feature of a signal generator is the oscillator. It takes commands and in return sets the required frequency.
- Amplifier: This feature will amplify the signal to a fixed level using a special amplifier module.
- Attenuator: This feature is positioned on the output of the RF signal generator. This positioning allows the generator level to be adjusted correctly also, it aids in maintaining an accurate source impedance.
- Control: The processors are used to ensure that the signal generator can be controlled easily and can also take commands from a remote control. It controls all operational aspects. A screen is present on many advanced radio frequency signal generators for easy control.
In this detailed guide, we have tried to cover the best possible facts you should know about the radio frequency signal generators. The signal generators hold great importance in a lot of fields and with the number of technicalities involved in them, it is pertinent to carefully check every aspect of the RF generator before doing a final purchase. Many factors constitute to make an innovative RF signal generator and here we have shortlisted the best high-performing signal generators for you.