Do you or your kid like skateboarding? Well, it is a fun game that’s for sure but it can get dangerous quite easily. Falling is a part of skateboarding, even professionals fall every couple of minutes of their run time. That’s why you’ll need padded shorts if you want to play this sport.
The market is full of different varieties of shorts from different brands but which one will suit you best, depends on a lot of variable factors. To help you find the best padded shorts for skateboarding, we are going to give you a list of the ones that we found best amongst the ones we tested.
Let’s check a run-through of the best sellers down below :
No products found.
Here’s the full reviewed of “the 7 Best Padded Shorts for Skateboarding” :
- #7. KUNGIX 3D Protective Padded Shorts for Skateboarding
- #6. Triple Eight Bumsaver Men’s Padded Shorts Skateboarding Snowboarding
- #5. BenKen Hip Protective Padded Short Pants
- #4. Kuyou padded shorts for skateboarding
- #3. Soared 3D Protection Hip Butt EVA Padded Short
- #2. TOMSHOO Hip Protection Padded Shorts
- #1. Bodyprox Protective Padded Shorts for Skateboarding
#7. KUNGIX 3D Protective Padded Shorts for Skateboarding
The Kungix padded shorts have stood out as one of the best protective shorts for not just skateboarding but also, skiing, mountain biking, and snowboarding. Its padding is made of shock-absorbing EVA cushions on the hip, thigh, sit bone, and tailbone. All these paddings on the sides ensure you’re safe no matter how you fall.
With these shorts, you will be able to get up a moment after you fell and you wouldn’t feel a thing. Moreover, the padding is not stiff or rigid, it will move along with your body while making you feel comfortable. You’ll be able to run, squat, and move freely with this short.
Furthermore, these shorts ensure heat resistance while being breathable. It remains skin-friendly by soaking up the moisture using its breathable mesh. You will not experience chafing with these padded shorts.
All material used in these shorts is hazard-free. They are washable and will not lose its shape or color any time soon. The shorts are durable as well, so you need not worry about spending your hard-earned money.
What we like
- shock-absorbing EVA padding on the hip, thigh, sit bone, and tailbone
- comfortable padding
- Breathable and skin-friendly
- Washable and hazard free
#6. Triple Eight Bumsaver Men’s Padded Shorts Skateboarding Snowboarding
The Triple Eight Bumsaver are another great padded short for men who play risky sports like skating, skiing, mountain biking, and snowboarding. These ensure that no matter how bad you fall you stay safe, get back up, and keep playing.
These shorts are quite lightweight when compared with other padded shorts. They also fit extremely well. They have a 10mm thick EVA foam padding in their hip, thigh, and tailbone area. All of these paddings can be removed if you don’t need them in some cases.
They enhance your movement and flexibility because they have been designed by experts and professional players. Moreover, they ensure breathability and moisture absorption. Don’t worry about them wearing out, they are completely washable and will survive for a long time.
However, if you are worried about their longevity, know that they come with a 180-day manufacturer’s warranty. No matter what age or size you are, amongst the five sizes these come in, you’ll definitely find the perfect ones for yourself.
What we like
- well fitted and lightweight
- 10mm thick EVA padding on hip, thigh, and tailbone
- Removable padding
- Better flexibility, breathability, and moisture absorption
- 180-day manufacturer’s warranty
#5. BenKen Hip Protective Padded Short Pants
If you’re looking for a padded short that have Velcro and zip adjustment at the same time then this one from BenKen would suit you right. For some people, Velcro and zip fitting are a priority and if that’s you then you don’t need to go any further.
On top of Velcro and zip adjustment, the BenKen padded shorts have an elastic waistband that can perfectly adjust to your waist. With these shorts, you’ll not only be protected but you’ll also be comfortable. These features also help in easy putting on and off of these shorts.
As for the paddings, it is a 2cm thick EVA foam that wraps around the hip, lumbar, and thigh area. You won’t feel a thing if you fall down on any one of these sides. These shorts are also great for cycling, the padded area making hour-long sessions quite comfortable.
Although it’s thick and warm it ensures breathability and moisture resistance. Wear It under your sportswear without any worry.
What we like
- Velcro and zip adjustment
- Elastic waistband
- 2cm thick EVA padding around hip, lumbar, and thigh
- Breathable and moisture resistant
#4. Kuyou padded shorts for skateboarding
If by this point you haven’t found shorts that can provide the maximum protection then these ones from Kuyou might be the ones for you. They have very thick padding that ensures protection no matter how hard you fall. It’s also ideal for cyclists who want to participate in days long tours. These wrap around the body perfectly, thanks to the flexible material used.
The thick padding does not mean these shorts will cause chaffing, excessive warmth, or weight gain. These shorts are surprisingly lightweight and breathable, do not retain sweats, or cause blisters.
Moreover, they are washable by hand and no color or chemical is dissipated when they are washed. Their waistband is also elastic with Velcro closure on top, ensuring greater comfort. There’s no reason to doubt these claims made by the manufacturer.
What we like
- Protective EVA padding
- Hand washable
- Lightweight, breathable and flexible
- Elastic waistband
- Velcro adjustment
#3. Soared 3D Protection Hip Butt EVA Padded Short
This is another 3D padded short that we found protective enough for sports like skateboarding, mountain biking, and snow hockey.
In sports like these, it’s often our hips or thigh that hits the ground with an impact that can be dangerous. Whereas the lumbar and crotch area are more likely to hit things like rocks, bike handles, or even other players. With its 1.5 cm thick EVA padding on the hip, crotch, lumbar, and thigh area, you have no place to worry about.
Despite the protection, the shorts are designed with keeping breathability and light-weighted ness in mind. The material is flexible, therefore perfectly adjusts to your body. The waistband is elastic, ensuring an easier putting on and off.
You also won’t feel any chaffing, moisture accumulation, or blisters. With five sizes available you won’t have difficulty finding the right one for you. Also, make sure you get the packing bag that the manufacturer offers.
What we like
- Thick EVA padding on the crotch, lumbar, hip, and thigh
- Breathable, flexible and lightweight
- Elastic waistband
- Five sizes
- Packing bag included
#2. TOMSHOO Hip Protection Padded Shorts
If you’re looking for padded shorts that have higher breathability then you may want to consider these ones. They have two breathable strips on the front instead of the pads, as in the case of other padded shorts. Therefore, they may not have the protection on the lumbar area as provided by shorts that have padding in that area.
However, for people whose breathability is a priority, these shorts will work really great. Also, with the increased breathability, problems like itching, bruising, or blisters are eradicated. This might be more valuable to people who don’t need pads or protection on the front such as bikers.
The Velcro extends till the waist, to ensure better fitting and protection in case you don’t like your skin showing off when you bend. The material used in these shorts is Spandex fiber which has greater freedom of movement and elasticity.
What we like
- Two breathable strips on the front instead of pads
- Velcro waistband
- Spandex fiber
- Good freedom of movement
#1. Bodyprox Protective Padded Shorts for Skateboarding
Since you’ve come this far, we want to award you with our best padded short for skateboarding. The Bodyprox protective shorts are your armor while playing skateboarding, skiing, ice hockey, roller sports, or biking. These shorts ensure premium protection with a lot more.
The EVA foam used in these shorts is way better than the ones used in other shorts. It provides maximum comfort and protection. While having these on, one often forgets that he is wearing any padded shorts due to their lightweight nature and comfort.
Unlike other padded shorts that give a tough time when moving in them, these shorts enhance movement and flexibility. Also, the heat and breathability are perfectly balanced with these ones. They dry quickly despite being warm and body fit.
They are made from a combination of Nylon and Spandex in a way that ensures functionality on top of durability. These shorts are machine washable and do not leave any chemicals or color. The size and fitting remain intact even after a year of use.
Just make sure you remove the pads before washing. You’ll notice a hole somewhere around each pad. Use that to remove the pad before washing and later to insert it back.
Lastly, these shorts are quite affordable despite the good features it has to offer. With four sizes available you shouldn’t have a tough time finding the right one for you.
What we like
- Better quality
- Flexible and breathable material
- Machine washable
- Removable pads
The Best Padded Shorts for Skateboarding
Things to consider when buying padded shorts for skateboarding:
With the list of best-padded shorts according to our experience, you shouldn’t have a problem concluding. However, some things come to mind when buying these things. These can be; why are they important? Do they make a difference? Or what makes one padded short better than another?
Therefore, we have decided to answer some of these questions for you, so that you may leave this page with a firm decision.
1. What are padded shorts for?
Padded shorts are worn as protection when playing sports in which falling and colliding is a daily routine such as skating, skiing, rollerblading, ice hockey, and mountain biking. In these sports, even the Pros fall down but with proper protection, they do not feel any pain. Instead, they get back up immediately and resume playing.
Moreover, Padded shorts have 3D pads in areas such as the groin, hips, thighs, or sides. These pads reduce the impact of a collision. In some cases, the pads are removable whereas in others they are fixed. It depends on what your preference is and which sport you are playing.
2. What factors make one padded short better than the other?
The difference between padded shorts from different brands may not seem significant from an outsider’s perspective but to a player, it is game-changing. However, there’s no one factor, there are many. Let’s go over them one by one.
- Padded portions: You’ll notice that not all padded shorts have all areas covered with pads. Some protect the groin area whereas others don’t. Some protect the lumbar while others focus on the hip. This is done to ensure they perform better in one sport. For example, bikers don’t need protection on the crotch and thigh areas but they do around the hips. Having protection everywhere will add unnecessary weight which can be avoided with the sport-specific shorts. Moreover, the thickness of pads ensures protection but anything more than your need will be the dead weight that will weigh you down while you are trying to perform your best.
- Dual stitch: Padded shorts should be double stitched to ensure longevity. However, most padded shorts are not double-stitched and buyers often overlook that, only to regret that later on. Reputable brands on the other hand try to incorporate double stitching.
- Flexibility and breathability: Make sure the shorts you are buying are flexible and breathable. A simple rule of thumb is to hold the fabric in both of your hands and stretch them. If they show stretch and flex, then that is a sign of higher flexibility. If you are buying online make sure it’s written in the features and read reviews. Also, see what material is the short made of. Spandex and lycra are stretchy and flexible materials. For breathability, polyester is a good material but it is used in combination with cotton and nylon. Whatever you do, don’t forget breathability even when you think you need warmth. Without breathability, that warmth can lead to sweating which can become itchy, irritating, and in some cases cause blisters.
That’s all from our end. We believe we’ve answered everything one should know about padded shorts before buying one. In case you have a query that you want us to answer, let us know in the comment box down below and we would definitely come back to it.
We hope you have a great time buying padded shorts and later using them.